Home      |      About MMA      |      Pure Michgan      |      Contact MMA      |      Search 
 
 
 
News & Info > Press & Media > About Manufacturing
About Manufacturing

Founded in 1902, the Michigan Manufacturers Association is the leading advocate for Michigan’s diverse manufacturing industry. Our focus on advocacy, education and networking provides manufacturers with a business climate that keeps costs down and companies competitive.

    Manufacturing Facts
  • Manufacturing directly employs more than 604,000 individuals in Michigan,
  • Manufacturers account for 13.9 percent of total nonfarm employment in Michigan,
  • Michigan's 9.3 percent drop in unemployment since June 2009 is the largest improvement of any state.
  • Employment in Michigan’s manufacturing sector has increased by more than 150,000 jobs since the state’s June 2009 — an increase of 34.1 percent in five years (see sidebar),
  • Michigan accounts for 22 percent of all U.S. auto-related jobs,
  • From May 2012 to May 2014, Michigan was first in the nation in gross manufacturing job gains, adding 25,000 jobs and outpacing the next closest state by 13.6 percent,
  • The majority of national manufacturing sectors experienced significant growth between June 2013 and June 2014 (see sidebar),
  • “Manufacturing” actually describes many different subsectors of the Michigan economy —automotive, metals, machinery, food & beverage, plastics, rubber, bioscience, furniture, chemical products, computer & electronics, defense, etc.,
  • According to the Department of Treasury, manufacturing employs over 9 percent of the total U.S. workforce, yet is responsible for 60 percent of exports and 69 percent of R&D spending,
  • More than half of manufacturing’s current workforce will be reaching or preparing to reach retirement age in the next ten years, spurring the industry’s need to attract new talent and develop an interest in manufacturing in the next generation,
  • 40 percent of all engineers in Michigan are employed by a manufacturer – engineering is just one example of the high skill level required for many advanced manufacturing careers,
  • Women, a growing subsector of the manufacturing workforce, represent approximately 25 percent of manufacturers in Michigan,
  • The average weekly wage in manufacturing is 36.9 percent higher than the average wage of all industries,
  • Manufacturing’s multiplier effect – the impact an industry has on people and businesses outside the industry – is the largest in the nation with $1 spent in manufacturing generating $1.37 in additional economic activity.
  • Every 100 jobs in a manufacturing facility creates 250 additional jobs in other sectors

 

Job Employment Growth - Michigan

* Bureau of Labor Statistics

National Manufacturing Growth

* National Association of Manufacturers

Download a printable 
Membership Application.
[PDF file]