Telephone
517-372-5900
Menu

About Michigan Manufacturing

Manufacturing encompasses several subsectors of the Michigan economy — automotive, metals, machinery, food & beverage, plastics, rubber, bioscience, furniture, chemical products, computer and electronics, defense, etc.

  • Manufacturers contributed $2.18 trillion to the U.S. economy in 2016
  • Total manufacturing output in Michigan in 2015 was $92.55 billion
  • Michigan manufacturers exported $52.05 billion in goods in 2016
  • The average wage and benefits in manufacturing are 27.4% higher than the average of all industries
  • Manufacturing’s multiplier effect – the impact an industry has on people and businesses outside the industry — is the largest in the nation with every $1 spent in manufacturing generates $1.81 in additional economic activity
  • Over the past 25 years, U.S.-manufactured goods exports have quadrupled
  • Manufacturers pay $19,564 per employee on average to comply with federal regulations, or 95.8% higher than the average cost across all businesses
  • According to the Department of Treasury, manufacturing employs over 9% of the total U.S. workforce, yet is responsible for 60 percent of exports and 69 percent of R&D spending
  • Manufacturing directly employs more than 608,500 individuals in Michigan
  • Manufacturers in Michigan account for 19% of the state GDP — sixth highest in the nation
  • Michigan's 9.3% drop in unemployment since June 2009 is the largest improvement of any state
  • Employment in Michigan’s manufacturing sector has increased by more than 175,600 jobs since the state’s June 2009 — an increase of 40.6 percent in eight years
  • Michigan accounts for 22% of all U.S. auto-related jobs
  • For every one worker in manufacturing, there are another four employees hired elsewhere
  • Over the next decade, nearly 3½ million manufacturing jobs will likely be needed, and 2 million are expected to go unfilled due to the skills gap
  • Engineering is just one example of the high skill level required for many advanced manufacturing careers — 40% of all engineers in Michigan are employed by a manufacturer
  • Women represent approximately 25% of manufacturers in Michigan
Mfg Excellence Awards 2017
Events
Mfg Excellence Awards 2017
This program recognizes excellence in manufacturing by honoring those who make a positive impact in their community and in their industry.
MFG Forum 2017
Events
MFG Forum 2017
The 2017 MFG Forum will outline the threats, discuss best practices and provide resources for protecting valuable manufacturing assets from cyber attack.
Insurance Forms
Insurance, Internal Page
Insurance Forms
Download and print the forms you need to manage your benefits program.
MFG Forum 2018
Events
MFG Forum 2018
The MFG Forum guides industry leaders through emerging issues like Industry 4.0 and provide resources to maintain Michigan’s manufacturing advantage in the 21st century.
Manufacturing’s Plan for Michigan
Advocacy
Manufacturing’s Plan for Michigan
Michigan’s economy is growing — but more remains to be done. Discover the industry’s top priorities for the 2017-2018 Legislative Session and help keep manufacturing moving forward.
Building a Competitive Michigan
Advocacy
Building a Competitive Michigan
MMA legislative and regulatory successes have saved Michigan manufacturers billions of dollars in recent years.
Manufacturers to Honor Governor Rick Snyder for Leadership in State Reinvention
News
Manufacturers to Honor Governor Rick Snyder for Leadership in State Reinvention
MMA is proud to announce that Governor Rick Snyder will be the 2017 recipient of the MFG Leadership Award.