What is the Going PRO Talent Fund?
The Going PRO Talent Fund awards funds to employers for training, developing and retaining current and newly hired employees. Training funded by the Talent Fund must be short-term and fill a demonstrated talent need experienced by the employer. Training must lead to a credential for a skill that is transferable and recognized by industry.
MMA has fought hard since 2014 to support Michigan’s vital Going PRO Talent Fund, a vital resource of employer grants for talent solutions.
Did You Know…
- $39 million is available for FY 2021 application cycle
- Since its inception, the Going PRO Talent Fund has directly funded more than $100 million toward talent and workforce development programs.
- Employers that are part of Industry-led Collaboratives (ILCs) may apply for funding anytime after 4/1/21 through 9/30/21. ILC applications are available throughout the program year, subject to available funding.
Program Statistics 2014-2021
- Total Number of Awards: 4,152
- Average Award Amount: $33,403
- Average Training Cost Per Person: $1,052
Can my business apply for Going PRO funding directly?
No, the Talent Investment Agency (TIA) grants the funds to employers through local Michigan Works! agencies (see Michigan Works! Talent Fund Key Contacts by Region and County).
Michigan Works! Agencies (MWA) Business Services staff conduct fact-finding sessions with employers to assess their talent skill gaps, suitable training providers and availability of federal funding sources. The MWA Business Services staff can then determine whether Going PRO Talent Fund grants would be appropriate to help close the skills gap.
During the application period, MWAs submit Going PRO Talent Fund applications to TIA on behalf of their partnering employer.
How can I learn more about the Going PRO Talent Fund?
Check out these resources for more information:
What is the application period?
The planned Fiscal Year 2022 Awards cycle is as follows:
- Applications Accepted: September 20 – October 15, 2021
- Announcement of Grants: December 2021
- Training Programs Held: January 1 – December 31, 2022
These dates are tentative and contingent on the timely enactment of the Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity (LEO) Fiscal Year 2022 budget.
How do I connect with my local MWA?
Manufacturers may only apply for Going PRO Talent Fund grants through their local MWA. Find your Michigan Works! Talent Fund Key Contacts by Region and County.