MMA is working with state leaders and the Unemployment Insurance Agency leadership to develop tangible solutions to the recurring failures of Michigan’s unemployment insurance system to meet employer needs.
As an active participant in the Unemployment Insurance Workgroup established by House Oversight Committee Chair Joe Graves (R-Linden), several MMA priorities were included in the Workgroup’s final report of recommendations provided to the Committee on Thursday, 6/8/17.
Among the recommendations were several MMA priorities, including:
- Legislative solutions to address the proliferation of imposter claims
- Legislative solutions to improve the 20a employer non-compliance determination process
- The mitigation and blocking of anti-manufacturing proposals such as:
- Requiring UIA to ensure “actual notice” before adjudicating a claimant of fraud
- Prohibiting the Agency from utilizing discrepancies between employers and claimants about separations for the purposes of establishing fraud
- Attempts to slash Michigan’s penalties to just 15 percent
The bill drafting process has commenced, however this can be quite a lengthy endeavor so MMA anticipates legislative action on these items when the Legislature reconvenes this fall.