This article appeared in the September 2018 issue of MiMfg Magazine. Read the full issue and find past issues online.
Every employee, from senior leadership to the sales team, should be able to clearly communicate the value of your business. By delivering consistent messaging across both print and digital channels, you’ll create a positive brand experience.
Use these tips and tactics to develop a cohesive communication strategy.
Get Clarity of You
Before you communicate with the outside world, you should get crystal clear on who you are as a company to help guide your marketing strategy. Brand archetype quizzes can align your brand as you uncover perceived strengths, weaknesses, threats and opportunities in the marketplace. Look for the unique qualities of your brand.
Get Clarity of Them
What motivates your ideal client? What keeps them up at night? Try to address their pain points with solutions your company provides. Prioritize solving their challenges with every communication.
Build the Infrastructure
Once you know you and your target audience, it’s time to build content. Here are five things to focus on:
- Sales Deck The best sales decks are brief, professionally branded, and explain your value proposition, key differentiators, core values, proven process, capabilities and the key markets you serve. Ideally, your sales deck is delivered in person, so you can talk through particulars, answer questions and leave a printed copy behind.
- Branded One Sheet This one-page document is a condensed version of your sales deck. Hand it out at conferences, networking events, or e-mail it as a prospect follow up. It should clearly outline your capabilities and include a brief customer testimonial. Check out an example!
- Updated Homepage Don’t have the budget for a complete website overhaul? Just update your homepage. Your website tells a story of who you are — make sure it tells the story you want. Start with a strong headline, an interesting visual, and put your most important information above the fold. Create multiple conversion points to easily capture visitor leads. PRO TIP: Check out a recent example of a homepage that sells: www.deppmann.com.
- Follow Up E-mails E-mail follow-up should include multiple interactions — you’re building a long-term relationship. Send your first e-mail within a day or two, thanking them and providing a pdf copy of your one sheet. Send your second e-mail a week later with additional information and maybe even a video! Using marketing automation tools like HubSpot can make creating, scheduling, tracking and measuring the performance of your e-mail campaigns quick and easy.
- Connect on LinkedIn LinkedIn is where professionals go to interact. Connect with key players and regularly share relevant content including industry news, your company’s blog articles and more. Do not underestimate the power of social media for manufacturers. Simple changes to their social strategy helped an industrial water treater gain a whopping 422 percent increase in social media-driven website traffic and five LinkedIn-generated leads. Consistency is key to positioning you as an industry thought-leader.
By clearly communicating your company’s brand across multiple touch points you’ll lay a solid foundation for nurturing long-term, valuable relationships with supporters and customers alike.
The Whole Brain Group is an MMA Premium Associate Member and has been a member company since 2017. Visit online: www.thewholebraingroup.com.